Social Distancing – How to Perform Remote NMEA 2000 Diagnostics
As the world finds itself in the grips of the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic, boat installers may find it more challenging than ever to gain access to their customers’ boat in order to perform vital diagnostic work on the boat’s NMEA 2000® network.
Global NMEA specialists, Actisense, have had several conversations with concerned dealers and installers expressing concern that although they are able to do the work but just can’t physically be on site. Actisense have highlighted how vital marine diagnostics are still achievable using their NGT-1 NMEA 2000 to PC interface (www.actisense.com/products/ngt-1)
Using an NMEA 2000 to PC or USB interface, you can precisely transfer messages to and from the NMEA 2000 bus. The Actisense NGT-1 has a male Micro connector, allowing direct and simple connection to an NMEA 2000 bus. Actisense offer two versions, the standard NGT-1-USB or the NGT-1-ISO, a more specialist option with an Opto-isolated input and ISO-drive output. Choose the ISO variation for safely interfacing with RS232 or RS422.
How to perform remote NMEA 2000 diagnostics:
In light of the current situation, Actisense have put the below graphic together to try and help as many of you as possible. Using the NGT-1 NMEA 2000 to PC Gateway, you can give your installer direct access to your network by following these steps:
– Connect the NGT-1 to your NMEA 2000 network and your laptop via USB.
– Download and install remote desktop access software (such a or similar).
– Download and install Actisense NMEA Reader and Toolkit for free. The diagnostic NMEA Reader software enables communication of NMEA 2000 messages with configuration options, allowing some set-up of Actisense products on the NMEA 2000 bus.
– Ask your boat technician to install remote desktop access software (such a TeamViewer or similar) and give them your corresponding ID details, to allow them remote access to your laptop. it is advisable not to have any sensitive or secure information on the laptop being used. You’ll be able to see any actions taken by your technician.
– Using this hack, your technician will be able to gain direct access to your boat’s network and complete any diagnostic or analytical work accordingly – all from a safe, remote location. Stay safe and we hope to see you out on the water soon!
To find out more about the Actisense NMEA 2000 to PC interface devices, find your nearest distributor, visit www.actisense.com. Actisense have more than 80 distributors in 45 countries globally.
Connect with us on social media